One of the ways we’re striving to halve the harm done by brain tumours is making sure our community has access to the financial aid they’re entitled to.
Unfortunately, people living with a brain tumour aren’t always given information about the support that’s available and many carers aren’t aware they’re entitled to anything at all.
In 2018, we began partnering with Citizens Advice Rushmoor to provide a weekly telephone clinic offering specialist guidance through the benefits system – from help filling in forms to explaining the appeals process.
Last year, we were able to support 178 people through the service, helping them claim over £450,000 collectively.
Now, we’re excited to announce that from Thursday 11 July we’ll be offering this service two days a week.
Appointments are now available on Tuesdays and Thursday from 9.30am to 4.00pm. But we still recommend booking at least a week in advance as the clinic is usually fully booked on the day.
Expanding our benefits clinic to two days a week is obviously a huge step forward for The Brain Tumour Charity as we strive to reduce the financial impact that a brain tumour diagnosis can have.
And, as well as providing the same specialist benefits advice, our experienced advisors will now be offering their expert guidance on a wide range of strategies to help you save money. These include:
- renegotiating payments with your mortgage provider or taking a payment holiday
- making a claim against any insurances or critical illness cover
- making an early claim on your pension or early retirement on ill health grounds
- applying to the Warm Home Discount Scheme
- getting the best deal from your energy supplier and swapping suppliers to get a better deal
- setting up a power of attorney
- self-referring for a care assessment from your local council to determine any support you may be eligible for
- preparing for your care assessment and what to expect
- exploring the support that may be available from Children’s Services if your child is living with a brain tumour diagnosis
- help with budgeting and financial management to get more from your money.
You can make an appointment to speak to our advisors by using our online booking system. If you're struggling to make an appointment or you want to talk to somebody sooner, you can always contact our Support and Information team. They can put you on the benefits clinic waiting list in case of a cancellation, try to answer some of your questions and listen to any concerns you might have.
Need to talk?
Whether you're living with a brain tumour yourself or supporting somebody with their diagnosis, our Support & Information team are available Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm.Get in touch