Financial support and brain tumours

If you are affected by, or are living with a brain tumour or brain cancer, you may be entitled to certain financial benefits. All rates stated are correct at the time of publication (August 2017).

Financial support if you have or had a brain tumour

Personal Independence Payment

In June 2013 Personal Independent Payment (PIP) replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for new claimants aged 16-64. There is an assessment processes which could involve a face to face consultation with a health professional:

  • the daily living component (Given to people who have difficulties caring for themselves) Enhanced rate: £83.10 per week Standard rate: £55.65 per week
  • the mobility component (Given to people who have difficulties walking) Enhanced rate: £58.00 per week Standard rate: £22.00 per week

Claims can still be made for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children under the age of 16. Rates are between £22.00 and £141.10 per week. Rates paid are dependent upon the level of difficulty the child faces with movement and or the amount of care they require.

Attendance Allowance

If you are aged 65 or over and need help with personal care due to disability you may be eligible for the Attendance Allowance. This is a tax-free benefit paid at the following rates:

Higher rate: £83.10 per week

Lower rate: £55.65 per week

If you have a terminal illness you automatically qualify for the higher rate.

Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

For the ESA there is a 13 week assessment period to find out what you are able to do. During this time, a weekly 'assessment phase' will be paid at basic rate of £57.90 if you are under 25 and £73.10 if you are over 25. You will then be grouped into one of the following:

  • work-related activity group – Where your assessment shows that you are able to work, but you are limited as to the types of work you can undertake. You will be given support to help you prepare for work.
  • support group – Where your assessment indicates that your illness or disability affects you to such an extent that you are unlikely to be able to work for some time (though you may wish to carry out some voluntary work).

Free prescriptions and Prescription Pre-payment Certificate (PPC)

If you have had a diagnosis of cancer, you do not have to pay for prescriptions. Ask your doctor for a MedEx (medical exemption) form.

If you are not eligible for free prescriptions, but need them regularly, and live in England, a prescription pre-payment certificate can help save money.

Financial support if you are caring for someone with a brain tumour

Carer's Allowance

This is available to people looking after someone, for 35 hours a week or more, who receives:

  • daily living component of Personal Independent Payment (PIP)
  • higher or medium rates of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Attendance Allowance.

The current rate is £62.70 per week.

There might be some restrictions to which other benefits you and the person you care for are entitled to while receiving Carer's Allowance.

Financial support for both patients and carers

Income Support

This provides a 'top up' to people on low income who are not able to work full- time, particularly carers or those looking after young children. The amount you are entitled to varies according to your circumstances. Eligibility criteria are different for Northern Ireland.

Council Tax Reduction

If your home is the main home of someone with severe and permanent disabilities, you may be eligible for a reduction on your council tax band.

Housing Benefit

If you are receiving certain benefits or are on a low-income, whether employed or not, you may be entitled to claim housing benefit to help with the cost of your rent.

Working Tax Credit

This payment is available if you (or your partner) are working, but earning low income. The amount received is calculated based on several factors.

Child Tax Credit

If you have one or more children in your care you may be eligible to receive this. The amount you receive is calculated using many factors.

Pension Credit

Pension Credit is an income-related benefit for retired people and consists of two parts:

  • a guarantee credit (the minimum age to claim is gradually rising from 60 to 66 years) You may be eligible for this if your income is below a certain level.
  • a savings credit (the minimum age to claim this is 65 years)You may be eligible for this if you have some savings or a second pension.

You may be entitled to more if you are disabled or are a carer.

Our Benefits clinic

We work with Rushmoor Citizens Advice to provide a weekly benefits clinic offering specialist benefits advice and assistance to people affected by brain tumours.

Learn more about the Benefits Clinic.

Page last reviewed: 06/2015
Next review due: currently under review

Page last reviewed: 09/2015

Next review date: 09/2016

logo for the information standard certification logo for the helplines partnership

If you have further questions, need to clarify any of the information on this page, or want to find out more about research and clinical trials, please contact our team:

Support & Info Line

0808 800 0004 (free from landlines and mobiles)

Research & Clinical Trials Info Line

01252 749 999

Phone lines open Mon-Fri, 09:00-17:00

You can also join our active online community on Facebook - find out more about our groups.