Have you been diagnosed with a brain tumour? Order your free information pack.

What benefits are available for carers?

Even if you don’t think of yourself as a carer, you may be eligible for financial support if you provided unpaid support to someone living with a brain tumour.

There are around seven million carers in the UK, the majority of which are “informal carers” – for example, family or friends helping look after a loved one. Despite the challenges faced by informal carers, they often don’t consider themselves to be caring for someone. You may just see it as part of your relationship, a necessary inconvenience or what anybody else would do in your shoes.

However you view your role, it’s important to understand that you may be eligible for financial support that can help make your life a little bit easier. This can include:

Carer’s Allowance. A payment to help cope with the financial impact of caring for someone.

Carer’s Credit. A scheme to top up your National Insurance contributions and protect your State Pension eligibility.

Council Tax Support. Exemptions or discounts to your council tax bill.

Am I eligible for financial support?

35% of carers miss out on benefits because they don’t realise they are entitled to them. So, even if you aren’t sure you’re eligible, it’s always worthwhile finding out more about the available support.

You may be eligible for financial support if all of the following apply:

  • You spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone – whether you live with them or not.
  • The person you look after receives Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance care component (at the higher or middle rate), Personal Independence Payment daily living component (at either rate), Armed Forces Independence Payment or Constant Attendance Allowance.
  • You’re not in full-time education or earning more than £123 a week (after tax and expenses).

How do I arrange a carer’s assessment?

Everybody is entitled to a free carer’s assessment from their local council. This is where the council will decided whether you’re eligible for support based on how being a carer impacts your life and what the needs are of the person you care for.

All you need to do is call your local council’s social services department and ask for a carer’s assessment. You can find the contact number in your phone book or on their website.

Need advice?

We’ve partnered with Rushmoor Citizens Advice to provide a weekly benefits clinic offering specialist benefits advice and assistance to people affected by brain tumours. Our benefits advisor can answer your questions about claiming benefits and help explain what financial support you may be entitled to as a carer.

They can also assist with:

  • the benefits application process
  • the benefits appeal process
  • benefits eligibility criteria
  • general benefits enquiries.

Please note, we’re only able to offer appointments to people living in the UK as we’re a UK based charity.

Our experienced Benefits and Money Advisor providing advice over the phone to someone affected by a brain tumour

Expert help and advice

Make an appointment to speak to our trained benefits adviser by using our online booking system