From tasty tray bakes to delicious drizzles, here are the brain tumour community’s favourite bakes this September!
Simple Lemon Drizzle cake recipe
This easy lemon drizzle is a simple cake recipe that is sure to be a crowd pleaser at your bake sale!
- 220g Caster Sugar
- 220g Self-Raising Flour
- 220g Butter
- The rind of one lemon
- A few table spoons of icing sugar
- Juice from the lemon
Cook for 55 minutes at 180C. Once cooled mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice and drizzle over the cake
Chewy Sultana Squares
A simple tray bake using just three ingredients, what more could you want?
All you need is:
- 374g Sultanas
- 1 tin of condensed milk
- 1 1/4 cups of self raising flour
- optional: icing sugar to decorate
- Mix together your ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour into a lined tin, the mixture will be sticky so make sure it’s spread evenly before you bake.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Once cooled cut into squares and sprinkle on some icing sugar
Not quite a cake recipe, but a biscuit is close enough right? Gingerbread is not just for the holidays. Here is an easy recipe that will leave everyone wanting (or buying) more:
- 12oz Plain Flour
- 1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 level tablespoons of ginger
- 4oz margarine
- 6oz light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger in a bowl
- cut the margarine into small pieces and rub into the dry mixture
- mix in the sugar
- in a separate bowl, mix together the egg and golden syrup
- pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture and mix into a dough
- roll out the dough into your chosen shapes
- bake for 10-15 minutes at 190c
- once bakes take off the tray straightaway to cool and harden
These delicate raspberry ruffles both look the part and are sure to get people taste buds tingling at your Big Bake. And their no bake method makes them a simple cake recipe for your Big Bake to.
- 340g desiccated coconut
- 75g icing sugar
- 2 packets of raspberry jelly crystals
- 1 tin of condensed milk
- 250g milk chocolate
- (optional) 250g white chocolate
- In a large bowl, mix together the desiccated coconut, raspberry jelly crystals and icing sugar
- Once combined, pour in the condensed milk and mix together
- transfer into a lined baking tin and spread evenly using a spoon to flatten
- Chill the coconut mixture for 30 minutes
- Whilst chilling melt the chocolate (if you are using both white and milk chocolate, melt in separate bowls)
- Pour the melted milk chocolate over the chilled coconut mixture and spread so it is fully covered
- If using white chocolate, spoon on top in blobs and the use a cocktail stick to swirl into the milk chocolate
- Chill in the fridge for 60 minutes until the chocolate is set
How to get involved
If you’ve been inspired by these tasty recipe’s and would like to bake to improve the lives of those affected by a brain tumour diagnosis, sign up to The Big Bake! Simply host a bake sale this September and join others in the brain tumour community in raising funds to accelerate a cure for brain tumours. With lots of free resources and help from our community team (and some irresistible fundraising incentives up for grabs), there’s so many reasons to raise your flour power this September.