Dr Michod is a Senior Research Associate at
UCL Institute of Child Health in London. While at secondary school, Dr Michod was inspired to become a researcher and would like to offer the opportunity for three young people to gain a week's work experience alongside him and his team in his laboratory at UCL.
The goal of Dr Michod's research group is to understand how epigenetic mechanisms contribute to the development and function of the central nervous system, and how alterations in these mechanisms can lead to disease such as brain tumours. You can read more about his research group here.
You must fulfil the following criteria to be eligible for this placement:
- age 16–17 years
- currently completing Year 12 of full-time education
- studying biology and chemistry A-level
- have an interest in laboratory science and a specific interest in brain tumours.
- You should be available to do the work experience for the week of 29 July - 2 August (11am - 4pm each day).
- Please note, you will need to organise and fund your own travel and obtain permission from your parent or guardian.
To be considered for this unique opportunity, please email a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 10 May 2019.
In your CV, which should be
no more than two pages, please include:
- date of birth, address, telephone number and email
- which college you are currently at
- your GCSE and A-level / Higher / IB grades or predicted grades
- details of a teacher at your school / 6th form college whom we can contact for a reference.
In your cover letter, which should be
no more than one page, please outline:
- your motivation for applying
- how you plan to make the most of the opportunity
- what your future plans are
- any other relevant experience.
Short-listed students should be available for a brief chat about the placement by skype on the 23 May, which will be arranged in advance.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application in early June.
We expect high levels of interest and anticipate we will not be able to accommodate all eligible students.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss the placement please contact on Hope Terhune Healthcare Engagement Programme Officer 01252 237853 or email@example.com.