Effective Communication & Breaking Bad News webinar
This webinar will be presented in conjunction with Local Optical Committees England.
Communication is now 1 of the 4 compulsory GOC Core Domains for CPD for all GOC registrants. We all spend 3-4 years on the road to registration but when was the last time you were on a training course dedicated to communication for the Optical Sector?
In this webinar we will discuss why communication is important for contemporaneous records and also more importantly for medico-legal purposes.
Overview of the webinar:
- Why communication is now a compulsory requirement
- Knowing that there are 3 different models of Breaking Bad News
- How to improve your communication skills
- How to show empathy
- Why you need to respect peoples wishes, even though they may be different from yours
- Driving and the Law
- Live Q&A session
About the speaker
Lorcan Butler is Optical Engagement Manager at The Brain Tumour Charity, having previously trained as both a Dispensing Optician and an Optometrist. Lorcan worked with Vision Express as a Pre-Registration Supervising Optometrist for 13 years and helped implement their nationwide Pre-Registration training programme. Lorcan is a keen advocate of Continuing Education, Training & Professional Development and has hosted this webinar for Optometrists in Scotland, Wales, Ireland & England.
To get the most out of this webinar, please note the following points:
- All participants will be muted on entry
- Please do not connect your video
- We welcome your questions for the speaker at any time using the chat facility. The moderator will leave all the questions until the very end for the Q&A session.
- You must change the name of your electronic device to your Name & GOC Number so you can be accredited your CET points by the GOC.
- Please don’t share your personal information (for example your phone number) during the webinar
If you’ve any questions, please contact our Optical Engagement Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support and Information Services
You can also join our active online community.